IGNORED

New bike: What travel do you use for Austin trails?

2 hours ago, throet said:

Wow the downcountry category is getting downright crowded these days with recent new entrants from Yeti (SB115) and Transition (Spur). Nice to have choices, especially considering how well suited these short-travel rigs are for our Centex terrain. 

image.thumb.png.8c7319b28d1c8c158135e0f2000d6e21.png

That new spur should be renamed CTX. That's pretty much the perfect rig for 99% of the riders here. 

• Like 3

I have a 6" FS bike (out dated 2007 All Mountain) and a 4" HT (also, not the newest geom) and If I had the means I'd trade both in a heartbeat for a 120/130ish HT or maybe a FS. I am not a huge drop/ jump fan and I spend more time with the rear end in ProPedal mode and front Talus at 130 than I do at full open. The HT is fun and I can definitely feel myself have energy for more miles compared to the FS but it does beat me up just a bit on the rocky/loose bits common in our area. 

Trouble is, both are in great mechanical shape and still make me smile on the trail. I have a hardtime replacing things that work. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Trouble is, both are in great mechanical shape and still make me smile on the trail. I have a hardtime replacing things that work. 

Honestly, all of the trails that I ride today were ridden on 100mm travel back in the day. The fact that I have 130-140mm now makes them more fun, but if you have a bike that is working there is not a hugely compelling reason to replace it.

Your strategy should be to ride the hell out of it so that you break it, that provides the justification for replacing it with a new one.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Pulled the trigger and got an Izzo Pro Race a month ago.  Unfortunately, only have a half dozen rides in it and most of those have been tinkering with suspension setup and only riding at Brushy.  From my initial feelings though, this will be a obnoxiously  fun bike for most of what I ride.

• Like 3

I moved here about 5 years ago with a Airborne Goblin HT (XC geo) and quickly decided to go full squish. I picked up an entry level Niner Jet 9 (130/120) after about a year riding places like Greenbelt, Flat Creek etc I changed the 29" wheels to 27.5 w/2.8 tires and the airspring in the Yari fork to make it 140mm making it more of a + trail bike. It's heavy and a bit clumsy with the 2.8s but I have rode it everywhere. With the exception of the low BB pedal strike thing, it works well. 

Last year, I demo'd a Yeti SB-100 up in Dallas...Wow! The XC geo made me feel a little exposed on steep drops but I reckon that thing could handle any trail around here. Nimble is the word that comes to mind... 

I just ordered a Fezzari Delano https://www.fezzari.com/delano (back to 29")

It might be more travel than I need, I am about 170lbs,  but it reports to be a fun, nimble, trail bike. I am keeping a 27.5/2.8 wheel set to give it a try but I suspect I will keep it on the 29s most of the time.

All that being said, I see guys killing it on hard tails at most places and the XC guys at SATN fly.  I do miss the light playfullness of a HT but my lower back says "NO" and I like the geometry of a trail bike over a XC 100mm option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watterman said:

I do miss the light playfullness of a HT but my lower back says "NO" and I like the geometry of a trail bike over a XC 100mm option.

this may not be relevant in your case, but when my lower back started hurting, I was tempted to get a FS bike too. if I had gone down that road, I'd be on a recumbent bike now. lower back pain, in my case, was due to very easily fixed spinal issues and a lack of physical conditioning. getting a more squishy, upright bike would only have delayed  the inevitable. getting a FS bike is probably a good idea for most riders on Austin terrain, but if the real issue for you—as it was for me—is a lack of physical conditioning, poor flexibility, weak glutes and core, etc, then the FS bike will only feel good enough for a limited time. then you'll get used to it, your body will further atrophy, and you'll have more back pain. again, maybe that's not you, but don't let a squishy bike lure you into a false sense of comfort and safety.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Watterman said:

I just ordered a Fezzari Delano https://www.fezzari.com/delano (back to 29")

That's a really nice looking bike and the numbers look great. Which color did you order? That will be a great bike for around here I'm sure, and should be quite capable nearly anywhere you could take it. 

My story is similar. Had a pure XC race hardtail, and when I started riding Brushy I ended up getting a clunky aluminum FS 29er. Rode that for about a year and decided I needed something capable, but more light and nimble. Ended up getting the first gen (2017) Intense Primer built out at 26lbs with 130 travel front and rear. Some of the newer geo is tempting, but the Primer still does everything I want it to do.  

Edited by throet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I know a few guys over 50 how ride singlespeed, some of them on rigid forks. most of them all work with the same chiropractor, and that chiropractor got me out of my slump. that says a lot.

What's crazy about this statement is that when you look at endurance racing in the SS class, the really fast dudes all seem over 50.  They just destroy the field sometimes.  I love it.

• Like 2

Since I bought a Stache (29+ HT) more than a year ago, I've been riding it almost exclusively.  I have so much fun riding this bike that I recently sold my FS 27.5 bike, which I basically stopped riding.  As much as I love the Stache, I still think about replacing it with a FS 29er for a couple of reasons.  One is that my margin for error when riding up features with bumpy lead up to them (e.g., multiple small ledges leading to a big ledge) are smaller with a HT compared to a FS.  Second is that I am starting to feel more beat up during and after rides.  To an extent, I think I can address these two issues by improving my skills and fitness, but … NEW BIKE!!  Plus, I'm getting old.

I just don't know that I can find a FS 29er that can match the fun of the Stache, though.  I think it's a combination of the wide tires, instant response of a HT, and a super short chain stays.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, loop_out said:

Since I bought a Stache (29+ HT) more than a year ago, I've been riding it almost exclusively.  I have so much fun riding this bike that I recently sold my FS 27.5 bike, which I basically stopped riding.  As much as I love the Stache, I still think about replacing it with a FS 29er for a couple of reasons.  One is that my margin for error when riding up features with bumpy lead up to them (e.g., multiple small ledges leading to a big ledge) are smaller with a HT compared to a FS.  Second is that I am starting to feel more beat up during and after rides.  To an extent, I think I can address these two issues by improving my skills and fitness, but … NEW BIKE!!  Plus, I'm getting old.

I just don't know that I can find a FS 29er that can match the fun of the Stache, though.  I think it's a combination of the wide tires, instant response of a HT, and a super short chain stays.    

When it comes time to part ways with her, let me know. Ever since Tree Magnet let me take his for a spin I have wanted one. 

• Like 1

So many things in these last 5 or 6 comments hit way too close to home.  I am knocking on the door of 50, which is just a few months away.  My core and glutes are an issue but getting better, but my back issues are caused by overly tight hamstrings and quads which pull the pelvis out of alignment with lower spine and strain the muscles in my lower back.  I have been fighting this issue since EB 2012 when I was training on a geared bike, although I had completed in 2010 on an SS.  Just have to make myself not be a lazy bastard on the Izzo and ride it like my other bikes, which are full rigid Niner and Stache HT single speeds.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DBehrens said:

So many things in these last 5 or 6 comments hit way too close to home.  I am knocking on the door of 50, which is just a few months away.  My core and glutes are an issue but getting better, but my back issues are caused by overly tight hamstrings and quads which pull the pelvis out of alignment with lower spine and strain the muscles in my lower back.  I have been fighting this issue since EB 2012 when I was training on a geared bike, although I had completed in 2010 on an SS.  Just have to make myself not be a lazy bastard on the Izzo and ride it like my other bikes, which are full rigid Niner and Stache HT single speeds.

Not too far behind you heading towards 50.  Lately, my back is about the only thing that's not giving me consistent trouble, but seemingly everything else hurts.  I would certainly like to keep back problems at bay. 

As a fellow Stache owner, I would be very curious to hear about your view on Izzo because that is a bike I would consider as a potential replacement.  In the end though, I think I am looking for something that does not exist.  Something that fits my definition of fun as provided by Stache, in a more comfortable/forgiving setup.    

2 minutes ago, loop_out said:

Not too far behind you heading towards 50.  Lately, my back is about the only thing that's not giving me consistent trouble, but seemingly everything else hurts.  I would certainly like to keep back problems at bay. 

As a fellow Stache owner, I would be very curious to hear about your view on Izzo because that is a bike I would consider as a potential replacement.  In the end though, I think I am looking for something that does not exist.  Something that fits my definition of fun as provided by Stache, in a more comfortable/forgiving setup.    

Just curious if anyone around here has ridden the Full Stache. I don't know if Trek even makes it anymore. 

3 minutes ago, loop_out said:

In the end though, I think I am looking for something that does not exist.  Something that fits my definition of fun as provided by Stache, in a more comfortable/forgiving setup.  

As a fellow who also likes short chainstays, this is one of the several reasons I stay with 27.5. The SC 5010 (my bike) or the Ibis Mojo 4 with 2.6 or 2.8 tires may get you some of the fun you're looking for.  

10 minutes ago, notyal said:

Just curious if anyone around here has ridden the Full Stache.

I haven't ...but dang they look like a tank in person. 

1 minute ago, TheX said:

How does that compare to my SC Bronson?

The 5010 has 20mm less travel, it's a little lighter, a little steeper, has little lower BB, and a bit shorter chainstay. I think both bikes are solidly in the "trail bike" category, but the 5010 is more on the XC side of things and the Bronson is more on the enduro side of things.  

Basically 5010 is to the Bronson what the the Bronson is to the Nomad. 

10 minutes ago, Barry said:

The 5010 has 20mm less travel, it's a little lighter, a little steeper, has little lower BB, and a bit shorter chainstay. I think both bikes are solidly in the "trail bike" category, but the 5010 is more on the XC side of things and the Bronson is more on the enduro side of things.  

Basically 5010 is to the Bronson what the the Bronson is to the Nomad. 

I'm definitely a Santa Cruz fanboi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I know a few guys over 50 how ride singlespeed, some of them on rigid forks. most of them all work with the same chiropractor, and that chiropractor got me out of my slump. that says a lot.

Half my bikes are singlespeeds. Being well over 50 has taught me a lot about riding but being on a SS has taught me more. 

• Like 1