Jump to content
June Bug

Critter sightings!

Recommended Posts

I saw an armadillo at Walnut Creek yesterday!   Also, two little does -- one crossing the paved trail and the other waiting in the wings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, I haven't seen one in a while. My wife saw one at work the other day and told me. I was very happy to hear that they aren't all gone yet. I did see a copperhead while riding at Cameron park a couple of week ago. First time I've seen a snake out there. Guess I've been very lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have nightly visits from armadillos, possums, and skunks.  Our dog got skunked once.  That's why we still have an industrial size bag of baking soda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

We have nightly visits from armadillos, possums, and skunks.  Our dog got skunked once.  That's why we still have an industrial size bag of baking soda.

You dog owners are a devoted bunch.  My kid got mildly skunked, and I considered making him not my kid anymore.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, loop_out said:

You dog owners are a devoted bunch.  My kid got mildly skunked, and I considered making him not my kid anymore.

Gotta be a story there...

I've heard hydrogen peroxide is a good antidote to the skunk smell, but fortunately I've never had to use it.  

Edited by June Bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Gotta be a story there...

I've heard hydrogen peroxide is a good antidote to the skunk smell, but fortunately I've never had to use it.  

This explains the Blonde Skunks I keep seeing

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

This explains the Blonde Skunks I keep seeing

Don't you mean SKANKS?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leafkiller said:

I was very happy to hear that they aren't all gone yet.

Me too!   I was "just riding along" and it was RIGHT THERE a few inches off the side of the trail in Tangle of Trails.  If you heard a loud shriek at WC yesterday, it was just me being startled.  Little guy (or girl), so hopefully there's a reproducing pair somewhere in the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dog got sprayed by a skunk in my backyard once. Dumbass me smelt the skunk and thought "Oh no, better let the dog in before he gets sprayed." Of course, he comes inside panicked and rubs his stinky body all over the rug and the couch. He got a bath in a solution of peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap. He smelt fine after that, but the house didn't recover for a while. 

The wife was not too pleased with me or the dog. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a cute little skunk at Flat Rock Ranch last Friday. It was in the middle of the day, which I though was odd. I wanted to get a closer look and maybe a photo but the tail was sky high - butt pointed right at me as it walked away so I wised up and moved along. Quick search:

Skunks might come out during the day if there is a food source available at a particular time, if they have been frightened out of their daytime sleeping spot, or if there is high competition in the area at night from other nocturnal animals. Baby skunks are also commonly seen outside during the day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, June Bug said:

Gotta be a story there...

Nothing I couldn't tell as long as you promise (in writing) not to call CPS on me.

Actually, not much of a story.  Lots of folks have stories about their dogs getting skunked, and mine just happens to involve a kid.  He used to be a curious kid - not so much anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a dog that rolled in a rotten wet putrid deer carcas. It was such a special moment.
Oh.. on a Sunday night about 5:50 PM. Kid was about 18 months at the time and we lived in an apartment.
Wife immediately called the local dog wash place and pleaded her case. The owner was awesome and said to meet her at her shop.
I miss that dog a lot. He gave zero shits

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah peroxide, Dawn liquid dish soap and baking soda did the trick on the skunk smell.  We did it 3x.  I could still smell it a bit but I have a super sensitive nose.

My 2 dogs (RIP both of them) about 10 years ago came into the house extra happy.  It took me a few seconds to realize why they were so happy.  Y'all know the smell of fish sauce right?  It turns out we had some bitterns nesting on one of our trees and one of them had dropped or regurgitated a fish, and both my dogs rolled in it.  It was so gross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been seeing quite a bit of Road Runners on the trails at Brushy. Seems I hadn't seen any in years around here and now I'm seeing them all the time again.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, throet said:

Been seeing quite a bit of Road Runners on the trails at Brushy. Seems I hadn't seen any in years around here and now I'm seeing them all the time again.  

I've never seen them at Brushy but I've seen them in my neighborhood.  I always beep beep at them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they started building Deception, I don't remember ever riding out there without seeing a RR, especially on the 1/4 n. end. Then it was a long time before I saw them again. Glad to see them back

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen most of usuals, opossum, squirrel, bunny, armadillo, deer, non-venomous snakes, etc. But my one claim to fame is a pair of civets right after sunset at the end of picnic, right next to the bridge. They were so skiddish I couldn't even open my velcro pouch to get a picture. But I got a good look at them. Bigger than a squirrel, ringed tail, big eyes and ears. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

But my one claim to fame is a pair of civets right after sunset at the end of picnic, right next to the bridge.

This is beyond awesome. I didn't know they were in Austin! 

They are major rascally critters and mega scavengers, though, right up there with their close relative, raccoons.  Also called ring-tailed cats. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, June Bug said:

This is beyond awesome. I didn't know they were in Austin! 

They are major rascally critters and mega scavengers, though, right up there with their close relative, raccoons.  Also called ring-tailed cats. 

 

I've seen one dead one on the Brushy Creek pavement, near Deception. Totally thought it was someone's pet lemur that escaped until I looked it up!

About a year later, I saw one on a night ride down at the east end of the Brushy system. Little guy disappeared pretty quick once he got in my lights, but I saw it long enough to recognize it for sure. I was pretty stoked for the rest of the ride 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Seen most of usuals, opossum, squirrel, bunny, armadillo, deer, non-venomous snakes, etc. But my one claim to fame is a pair of civets right after sunset at the end of picnic, right next to the bridge. They were so skiddish I couldn't even open my velcro pouch to get a picture. But I got a good look at them. Bigger than a squirrel, ringed tail, big eyes and ears. 

That must be what I've been seeing! They move quick and I've though to my self "that's an odd looking squirrel."😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

 But my one claim to fame is a pair of civets right after sunset at the end of picnic, right next to the bridge. 

Had a pair of them take up residence in my attic. They were not easy to get rid of. Cost me $1300 between two exterminators. They eat lizards, birds and squirrels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no clue those things were in Texas until I was watching and episode of Texas Parks and Wildlife and they were doing a study on them. Very interesting critter for sure. That's cool that you saw them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost took out two small fawns on ninja today. 3’ off the trail just standing there looking at me. Thought they would charge at the last minute like a squirrel, but they just stood there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

When they started building Deception, I don't remember ever riding out there without seeing a RR, especially on the 1/4 n. end. Then it was a long time before I saw them again. Glad to see them back

I'm guessing it all has something to do with Acme's supply chain being cut off as a result of the pandemic. Haven't seen a coyote out there at all this year. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...