Jump to content
crazyt

What bike for spider mountain?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

 


Hey Man

Happy for you! Nice that you like it so much
My two cents which you didn’t ask for
Move your XTRs over today
You will not regret dumping the Guides
Once it gets hot out again you will see why they suck.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

But then I'd need to sell my sweet workbench to get some XTRs for my Primer 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But then I'd need to sell my sweet workbench to get some XTRs for my Primer
Touche'

Or....its your backup bike with new guides on it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

 


Hey Man

Happy for you! Nice that you like it so much
My two cents which you didn’t ask for
Move your XTRs over today
You will not regret dumping the Guides
Once it gets hot out again you will see why they suck.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I think the heat problem was only happening on the guide R’s, not the RS’; but if you do end up having the problem throat (small Rubber part swells and your calipers won’t fully release after you release the brake, and starts at about 80 degrees out) SRAM will warranty fix them for free. That being said since I kept seeing post about how much better the Shimano brakes were I figured I would give them a shot and picked up a pair of  ZEE's. For overall feel I personally prefer the SRAM's but don't hate the ZEEs and like the ease of bleeding the ZEEs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a nice bike and it suits you well. There is a huge benefit from buying a big name brand from a larger shop that can handle warranty claims quickly. I once had a bike that spent more time waiting on warranty replacements than on the trails. That sucked. Never again.

Also having multiple bikes is important. Back then I only had one bike, so when it was down, I was down. As I look at replacing my FS later this year I may be more interested in a non-big-name bike if the deal is right because I have a HT and a SS that I can also ride if there are issues.

But, at least you know Trek will stand behind their bike and the dealer has enough pull that things get sorted out quickly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got an email from Intense yesterday announcing this promo in case anybody is interested. 

Applies to the Carbine, Recluse, and Tracer on the build kits that don't already have carbon wheels. This is not an upgrade - you actually get an entire second set of wheels. So for example I saw their 2018 Tracer Expert Build - which is a really nice spec - at $4299, and then you get a set of e-thirteen Carbon Wheels at no-cost shipped separately.

 https://intensecycles.com/collections/enduro-race/products/tracer-expert-build?variant=3120180953111

Capture.PNG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 4fun said:

I think the heat problem was only happening on the guide R’s, not the RS’;

i had the problem with my 2016 guide RSCs (same basic design as RS). 

That being said, SRAM has fixed the issue with a new plunger design. i don't think you'll see it with new brakes as long as they aren't old stock.

Edited by circuitbreaker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed I get 5 bux off at Spider since I just turned 60. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Line up for downhill...

Pretty cool...

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.27.04 AM.png

Lift lines are never cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are when you've just opened a facility in Texas... And lots of folks got there early and are waiting for the lift to open.

But hey, everyone's got a personal POV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit, I just want a relatively warm dry day to ride. If anyone wants to ride there I'll drive. GF isn't quite ready for it yet. Shes afraid of heights anyway,  so chairlift is s no go. Haha

Edited by larlev
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're doing a group ride up there on the 24th. Funny, it's not a cycling group, it's people I used to ride sportbikes with. Wow, only 4 more months till my 2 year anniversary of nearly dying. I don't miss riding, but I do miss that beautiful Ducati Panigale Superbike.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheX said:

We're doing a group ride up there on the 24th. Funny, it's not a cycling group, it's people I used to ride sportbikes with. Wow, only 4 more months till my 2 year anniversary of nearly dying. I don't miss riding, but I do miss that beautiful Ducati Panigale Superbike.

Mine was "garage art" for over a year. Fatboy, whitewalls, apes. Looked great, but seeing 2 of my riding buddies go down it freaked me out. Havent ridden since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 6:16 PM, crazyt said:

My czar is 120/100mm and I was thinking about getting something with more travel. My first bike (tallboy LT) was 140/135 and I was pretty awesome for pretty much riding anything. For spider mountain is 140 perfect or would something like 160 be better?

I didnt like the VPP on the  tallboy LT for climbing. For descending it was fine.

Love dw-link on the czar.

Rented a pivot (429?) from cycle progression and didnt love it. Felt like I was riding through molasses.

What bikes actually have decent climbing that would be suitable for spider mountain? I prefer to get a frame only and build it myself.

Turner has the RFX (160mm), but I think it would be hard to get a test ride

Seth is pimping guerilla gravity

 

Where I dont trust most people is when they say the climbing is good, Im generally skeptical and think they are just used to shitty climbing.

HI!!!

I think the best choice is
Merida Crossway 20-MD
Giant ATX 2 (2017)
Silverback Stride 15 (2016)
Stinger Element D 26 (2017)
Stels Navigator 650 MD 27.5 V020 (2017)
My choice fell on Merida Crossway 20-MD. It’s more convenient and practical. It is also very reliable. I ride more than six months and have no complaints. But this is just my opinion
Before buying, I want to advice to visit more information sites with a similar subject. It really helps with the choice. For example this site http://bestadviser.net/reviews/mountain-bikes-reviews/top-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/   Once he also helped me with the choice of a mountain bike. I can also advise Giant ATX 2, this is my previous bike, is also a good fit for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LikesBikes said:

HI!!!

I think the best choice is
Merida Crossway 20-MD
Giant ATX 2 (2017)
Silverback Stride 15 (2016)
Stinger Element D 26 (2017)
Stels Navigator 650 MD 27.5 V020 (2017)
My choice fell on Merida Crossway 20-MD. It’s more convenient and practical. It is also very reliable. I ride more than six months and have no complaints. But this is just my opinion
Before buying, I want to advice to visit more information sites with a similar subject. It really helps with the choice. For example this site http://bestadviser.net/reviews/mountain-bikes-reviews/top-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/   Once he also helped me with the choice of a mountain bike. I can also advise Giant ATX 2, this is my previous bike, is also a good fit for you.

Thank you for this insight!  These seem to be the exact bikes I've been looking for in my search for something to ride at the Spider Mountain bike park!

IMG_3568.jpgMY19-ATX-2-27-5_Color-B-247x300.jpg

 

s780_MG_0006_01.jpg?1446454169

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cody, I think you could add a photo of your tandem as well, just to further clarify the class of bikes being sought after. :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ridenfool said:

Cody, I think you could add a photo of your tandem as well, just to further clarify the class of bikes being sought after. :classic_wink:

If J was still here, i assure you that a tandem would have been down SM by now.  I'd be "stoked" to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CBaron said:

Thank you for this insight!  These seem to be the exact bikes I've been looking for in my search for something to ride at the Spider Mountain bike park!

IMG_3568.jpgMY19-ATX-2-27-5_Color-B-247x300.jpg

 

s780_MG_0006_01.jpg?1446454169

I'm glad my information helped you)
 
Edited by LikesBikes
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

This is so awesome on so many levels.

I agree, this is why I come here so that I can get such great info from people like @LikesBikes who have such great knowledge of our sport.  @LikesBikes what are you currently riding right now?  Have you been out to Spider Mountain bike park?

Thanks -CJB

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...