mack_turtle

Night-riding lights

30 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Changes a bit with how quickly you will be moving in the dark.  

-CJB

Haha, I have a feeling that will be pretty slow the first time out. I imagine it takes some getting used to.

I have a NiteRider Pro 1200 on my bars. How far ahead of the bike should the center beam land?
My bar lights are about 10 to 12 feet out and centered on my bar. I run the light on my helmet a slightly higher angle so as I look ahead that light is much further past.
I think the biggest adjustment is dealing and reading shadows.
Oh.. and deciding if the root ahead of you is a root or Cobra

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Cafeend said:

My bar lights are about 10 to 12 feet out and centered on my bar. I run the light on my helmet a slightly higher angle so as I look ahead that light is much further past.
I think the biggest adjustment is dealing and reading shadows.
Oh.. and deciding if the root ahead of you is a root or Cobra

Reminds me of 24 Hours of Rocky Hill years ago on a night lap.

I stopped for a massive snake slithering across the trail. Another guy came flying up and screamed,"WOOHOO!Snake!" as he bunnyhopped it.

• Like 2

This is my current setup. I used it for the second time Friday night and had a blast. It is a Blackburn Dayblazer 800. I keep a battery pack mounted on the bars next to it to keep it going.

20201025_155430.jpg

• Like 1

The Dayblazer red blinky is my rear light of preference -  I don't think I've ever seen anything as bright that wasn't connected to an airplane or a train.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheX said:

Woohoo!

Your Outbound Lighting order has been shipped!

Nice! After I purchased my gloworms, creepy ass Facebook started showing me ads for Outbound lighting. I never saw anything about them when researching different lights which is too bad as their product looks intriguing. 

Did you get both of their lights?

2 minutes ago, WLemke said:

Did you get both of their lights?

I bought the Hangover for my helmet. I have a NiteRider Pro on my bars.

• Like 1

Riding Rim tonight. I had a young owl buzz me twice. Very cool .
Also never road Dave's Ditch at night before, way cooler in the dark

• Like 1

The Hangover light showed up today, and it is brilliant. Bright, and VERY low profile. Very happy with this purchase.

• Like 1

The time change and all this talk of lights prompted me to dig out my old lights (NiteRider MiNewt and a first-gen MagicShine) and see what condition they were in. To be honest, I was fully expecting neither battery to hold a charge given that both of these lights are over 10 years old and haven't been used in at least 5 years. I was also a bit worried about even trying to charge the batteries, especially since those early MagicShine batteries had some, uh, let's say, issues.

So, I got my trusty metal bucket and put it on the back porch and started charging. Surprisingly, neither battery exploded or burst into flames. Both indicator lights turned green after a while so I hooked up the lights, turned on a fan to keep things from getting too toasty, and fired them up. The NR burned brightly (well, as bright as it can) for 90 minutes, then started to fade over the next 30 minutes. It was still technically on after 2 hours but I'm not sure how useful it would be on a trail at night at that brightness. The MagicShine was still going strong after 2 hours with no noticeable drop in brightness.

My setup certainly won't be as bright as some others mentioned on this thread, but hopefully it will allow me to keep doing at least one after-work ride during the week.

I hadn't used my $20 ShenKey Amazon lights for probably 2 years. Just this last weekend I decided to go out for a night ride and cautiously put both lights on the charger (outside). I was quite surprised that they both took a full charge and had no noticeable decrease in luminosity.

Go figure

I went on my first night ride with the Waco Bicycle Club last night and had a blast. My setup worked quite well. I was able to see very well for over two hours with it. Quite pleased for now.  For now.

On 11/2/2020 at 3:16 PM, TheX said:

The Hangover light showed up today, and it is brilliant. Bright, and VERY low profile. Very happy with this purchase.

Regarding the Hangover, it comes with a mount? and the mount will just stick on my helmet?

25 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

Regarding the Hangover, it comes with a mount? and the mount will just stick on my helmet?

Yes, it comes with a nice GoPro compatible mount. Just peel and stick.