IGNORED

Random Bike Pictures

Sluggo

What is Juan across, a crossword puzzle? 😉

I couldn't find a trail named Juan that connects Winsor to Dale Ball on MTBProject. If there is another way from Winsor to Dale Ball that avoids La Piedra (without riding road) I'd like to know more about it.

After the ride I learned that you can wait at pull outs on 475 for the shuttle coming down. It will pick you up if you make it before their last run of the day passes the pull out. That was the plan I had for next time.

Edited by Ridenfool

1529554084_Screenshot2023-08-25at6_24_30AM.thumb.jpg.249962a1d0829e53805b2c9dacc57bb3.jpg

I rode up Bishop's Lodge road and cut in at the bottom of Lower Winsor (first arrow). Then I did the climb up Burn which was aptly named (second arrow). At the top of the Ridgeline, I could have taken Saddleback north but opted for Juan south (third arrow). That dumped me out on 475, where I rode up and down to Dale Ball (squiggly line off 475) where I did a little 2-3 mile lap then headed back down into town to the house. 20 miles, 2100 feet of climbing.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AustinBike said:

There is an extra 1000 feet, not 100. I did not do a good job of locating the trail I was looking for. In retrospect I was on it, so I may go back.

Did Winsor over to Dale Ball. Took Juan across.

LOL. While that might not be my life's most consequential type-o, it was certainly significant. It was an order of magnitude type-o!

So yes, if I had just climbed the 2500 feet to get to the shuttle drop-off from town, would it be worth it to climb the extra 1000 feet? Or is it more like the punishing south-side Dale Ball trails?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

So yes, if I had just climbed the 2500 feet to get to the shuttle drop-off from town, would it be worth it to climb the extra 1000 feet? Or is it more like the punishing south-side Dale Ball trails?

Shuttle was way worth it for those of us that hate to climb. Also made the beers and burgers at Tesuque that much better😁

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

1529554084_Screenshot2023-08-25at6_24_30AM.thumb.jpg.249962a1d0829e53805b2c9dacc57bb3.jpg

I rode up Bishop's Lodge road and cut in at the bottom of Lower Winsor (first arrow). Then I did the climb up Burn which was aptly named (second arrow). At the top of the Ridgeline, I could have taken Saddleback north but opted for Juan south (third arrow). That dumped me out on 475, where I rode up and down to Dale Ball (squiggly line off 475) where I did a little 2-3 mile lap then headed back down into town to the house. 20 miles, 2100 feet of climbing.

Thanks for the info. I figured there was road involved, so no help for my next trip. I won't plan a ride that uses narrow road with higher than neighborhood traffic speed and density.

Whoever submitted the Burn Trail track to MTBProject must have included the section "Juan" as part of Burn Trail, so that explains why my search didn't turn it up.

On 8/21/2023 at 3:23 PM, ATXZJ said:

Nice and congrats!

They're great tires but hate rolling and weigh a ton LOL.

29x2.5 DD assegai that I just pulled off my trailbike.

To be honest, I can shave more weight by losing a few pounds myself, before I need to worry about bike parts! However, when I wear ‘em out I will likely replace ‘em with Pirelli Scorpions.

21 hours ago, Barry said:

LOL. While that might not be my life's most consequential type-o, it was certainly significant. It was an order of magnitude type-o!

Yeah, after the ride up from town, the extra 1000 feet is worthless. There is a great view up there but it is a shitty double track to get there. Definitely don't recommend at that point.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Thanks for the info. I figured there was road involved, so no help for my next trip. I won't plan a ride that uses narrow road with higher than neighborhood traffic speed and density.

Whoever submitted the Burn Trail track to MTBProject must have included the section "Juan" as part of Burn Trail, so that explains why my search didn't turn it up.

Ah, I use trailforks, it integrates right onto my Garmin.

ADCreHeZytiuhymqFmEgSKoocY12jtfK3QgSoMlV

At the top of Cairn Me Up at Glorieta, NM 

(experimenting with a different way to post a picture. Hope it works)

Trying yet ANOTHER way. We had to take our bikes to the room because the place we had to park was sketchy

PXL_20230822_115114320.jpg

PXL_20230901_164825097.jpg

Edited by The Tip
trying different picture posting
  • Like 1