IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

I was just coming here to ask about this.  THANKS.

So can I assume that 1/4 notch is also good to go?  I'd like to do a lap or so of Deception proper this evening.

-CJB

If Double Down is good then 1/4 Notch will be good since it has more sections that receive sun. And by good I mean rideable but be aware of remaining low spots. Do not ride around muddy or slick spots. I’ve noticed some mucho trail widening occurring on 1/4 Notch as a result. The East side entrance of 1/4 Notch was slickkkkkk city two days ago. Obviously should be better now, but will not be 100%. Once you get back from riding let us know how it looks. 

Yep, we had about 30 minutes of fun until the drizzle made it like riding on ice.  By the time we made it back to the parking lot, the once semi-filled lot contained 2 car, mine and @Barry.  I think we were the only two who were hard-headed enough to stick it out.  Truth be told, I was pretty amazed at what Barry climbed with absolutely traction-less conditions.

-CJB

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CBaron said:

Yep, we had about 30 minutes of fun until the drizzle made it like riding on ice.  By the time we made it back to the parking lot, the once semi-filled lot contained 2 car, mine and @Barry.  I think we were the only two who were hard-headed enough to stick it out.  Truth be told, I was pretty amazed at what Barry climbed with absolutely traction-less conditions.

-CJB

Same as happened to my friend and I last week.  We finished 1/4 notch with a light drizzle.  I took my tire pressure to the lowest I've ever ridden with.  Probably about 15psi on my front 2.35" tires and 22psi on my rear 2.2" tire.  Normally I'd have burped that rear tire, but with zero side load it was totally fine.  I bet your chubby girl's tires were even better!

Spoke to buddy today from the UK and asked him how they deal with all the rain and it the damage to trails when people ride when it is rainy or wet.
Simple, there are essentially 2 types of trails you can ride. Bridleways , which are for horses. Anywhere there are BW trails there are of course horses which rip the hell out of trails. But you can ride , knowing they are rutted as hell.
The other type is club trails or parks. You pay a fee and ride. The fees cover maintenance of those trails.
So you can ride those trails no matter the weather. The trails are maintained by whoever owns them.
You can ride all year no matter what.
There is not really an issue with Bandit trails. Like he said, why would you want to cut an illegal trail? That would be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, trailrider77 said:

Walked to Candy Land this morning. Slowly drying out but still soft in several areas. A day or 2 of sun from being hero dirt (more rain would delay this). Some areas are really torn up with lots of ruts. Trail width has doubled in those areas. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder can large rocks be stacked on either side of the tread in widened areas to form kind of an artificial trail width to keep douches from widening? Could that make people ride through or get off and walk on the rocks? Would that even work long-term? Would there be negative effects on trail assuming spacing left for drainage if applicable? I assume drainage is the issue since there are puddles people are avoiding. 

We’ll need to do something to promote regrowth of vegetation at widened areas. The wife and I walked 1/4 Notch tonight and documented 9 areas that will need repair. I was glad to see some branches I used to cover an area that riders were riding over to avoid muck were still in place. Trails won’t be ready tomorrow or the next day unfortunately. I think I’m going to take my bike for a tune up since conditions are garbage. 

1 hour ago, HoneyBadger said:

I love trail widening. The blue line is the approximate width of a section on Peddlers. Look how much more has to be fixed because people suck. 

Trail widening.png

This is the kind of problem that causes trails to be closed. Land managers look at this and think that the only way to keep the "trail" under control is to keep people off of the land. There is some logic to their argument.

To quote a land manager at a meeting not long ago - "There is no abuse without use". I don't think he made that up on the spot. I think that is something that is being pushed by those opposed to mtb trails.

12 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

If you guys want to see more trail destruction check out my latest Brushy Creek TC twitter post. There are some sections on 1/4 Notch that are about 5-6 ft wide now. 

For the sake of my lazyness in typing the url and finding you page, please add it back to your signature! 😉