IGNORED

The polarization of E-bikes

Chief

So E-bikes are a polarizing topic for us as riders and trail maintainers. I am of the group that believes a bicycle is bicycle and when you add a motor or device that self propels or helps to self propel it, it is no longer a bicycle but a motorized vehicle. I also feel this way about electronic shifting and that it takes away the simplistic beauty of what a bicycle is. Bicycles are considered by many to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind. I'm also the skeptical guy that will be shopping and see someone on one of the scooter shopping carts and think to myself there's no way that person needs to be on that device or "if that person would just get off their lazy ass they wouldn't need to ride around on that stupid shopping cart". With that being said we've all read and or watched interviews about the pros and cons of E-bikes. I'll be honest here that when the argument of E-bikes helping disabled people comes up I have this internal thought process that thinks "well if they're really that disabled maybe they shouldn't be on an E-bike in the middle of the woods" or "if they're that disabled what happens when that E-bike has a malfunction and leaves them stranded in the middle of the woods". Well after reading this article I think I have a different outlook on E-bikes and their benefits. Although I still loathe and look down upon anyone that uses an E-bike just because they think it's so much fun or they think it's the next cool gadget like hoverbaords. Here's the article.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/finding-freedom-with-metastic-lung-cancer.html

• Like 1

I don’t like ebikes because I see them as closer to a motorcycle than a bicycle. If we can use a 500 watt while on the trail, why can’t we use a 750 watt electric motor cycle? Why not a 75 cc yamaha?

I get why hikers don’t like bicycles on trails because the speed differential adds danger. It’s how you feel riding city park and you hear a 400 cc KTM coming up behind you.

My simple philosophy is that mixing motorized and non-motorized on the same surface is a recipe for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I don't have a big issue with ebikes if they help people who want to ride and physically aren't able. But when someone uses that to just be an ass and blow past everyone on the climbs or rip down the trails faster than necessary, then it needs to be addressed. If you are on an ebike I I can't tell because you are just riding along like the rest of us, have at it. Just know that when you batter runs out that sucker is heavy to push uphill. 

• Like 2

I am with AustinBike. It not the machine. It is the rider. I don't care what they are on - a trouble maker is a trouble maker. A nice respectful person is / would be fine on just about anything.

I actually think that e-bikes have their place. An older rider who can still ride because of an occasional assist is fine with me. Someone who is injured or recovering from an injury - let them ride an e-bike. 

Somebody who wants to make trouble will find a way to make trouble even with rules/restrictions. Deal with the problem rider - not the machine. The trouble is I'm not sure how to identify the trouble makers until they make trouble.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 8

I've been mountain biking for over 26 years and in the industry for about 15 years.  The more I learn about e-bikes, the more I accept them.  My experience includes riding them, which most people here have not.  That doesn't mean one cannot have an opinion about the subject; it just means one might not be as informed about their stance.

Granted, the article I'm linking here is more about e-bikes as transportation and it's in Europe, I see e-bikes gaining traction (no pun intended) world wide, especially as the become more affordable.

Check it out.

When Will E-Bike Sales Overtake Sales Of Bicycles? For The Netherlands, That's Now

• Like 2

It all comes down to maintaining access to trails for me. If landowners are okay with them, then by all means have at it as long as they ride responsibly (echoing CXAgent's comments). But when douchebags on e-bikes threaten my access to trails, we have an issue. It's like so many other things...flawed people behave badly and that's why we can't have nice things.

• Like 1

Yes, Brian is totally right, anything that threatens access is bad. My real concern is not that they do more damage, but if landowners (including the city of Austin) decide to ban then, and some bonewipe decides to ride his anyway, we'll see real problems.

But where I see the real conflict coming is not with all of us. I see the real conflict getting played out on Strava 🙂

• Like 1

The e-mtb world championships prove to me that the whole "e-bikes are for the disabled and elderly" argument is a only a secondary part of the e-bike movement. It's all really being marketed to a younger demographic (mine and younger) as a means to shred more while opening up a new un-tapped market for bike manufacturers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

while opening up a new un-tapped market for bike manufacturers.

This right here is the bottom line^

MTBs, like roadbikes did a decade ago, are beginning to plateau when it comes to innovation. At this point, most all name brand, off the shelf MTBs are really good bikes, and would be perfectly suited for 99% of the riders on 99% of the trails.  So that's the rub. Where do manufacturers go next to earn a buck? E-bikes IMHO, are the next step in innovation, marketing and sales. CEO of a large bike company said "If joe consumer goes into a shop with $5k and he/she has an option to buy a bike with a motor and one without, the motor will win".

Do i want one? No.

Will there be issues on local trails involving E-bikes? Yes

Are they a practical option for people with disabilities/ETC to get outdoors? Yes

The one thing I've learned in my 40+ years is as long as people are involved, sh@t will go wrong.

• Like 2

Electric golf carts didn't kill golf like they surely were predicted to by all the traditionalists when they first came out.

I would guess that E-bikes won't kill mountain biking. I do agree that the access problem is a major issue though. It's ALWAYS a major issue.

It was interesting in the article about how the results of the survey were different when the respondents' were divided by age. You youngsters tune's of "I'll never own one" will change when you get to a point in your life where you envision the end of your "acoustic" (unplugged) pedaling abilities. It sucks having the thought during a ride, "Am I temporarily out of shape or is this an irreversible getting old thing now?"

E-bikes for transportation can add to the demand on road infrastructure for low speed traffic lanes; for example E-scooter/ bike lanes... 

E-bikes have the potential to get people out of the car and on the bike as long as there is infrastructure in place.  

On the trail, especially Austin area trails...E-bikes can suck it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

I do agree that the access problem is a major issue though. It's ALWAYS a major issue.  I would argue that we don't need to arm the opposition to our access with any more ammo then.

"Am I temporarily out of shape or is this an irreversible getting old thing now?" I not 40 yet and I'm already there. A ruptured disc in your lower back gets you there quicker. That combined with working in front of a computer 8-10hrs a day and I'm not convinced I'll ever ride the same distances and with the same frequency that I did in my 20's.

If I get to the point where I can't ride, I'll just focus on building and maintaining awesome bikes for my kids and friends...and I'll be there to heckle at the R&I.