larlev

Backpack to lumbar pack

Did it take you guys a few rides to get used to these? I went out on a little neighborhood ride loaded up with water and tools. Pretty damn uncomfortable on my lower back. Hoping it's just one of those things that takes a bit getting used to. Guess a backpack wasnt that comfortable at first.

20190314_164344.jpg

I recently picked up a Seral as well. Still getting used to it, but have had no lower back pain. From what I understand Osprey's waist packs are designed to ride in the lumbar region, above the hips. Higher than normal belt height.

One of the adjustments for me to learn is getting the belt tight enough, then loosening it when I want to spin it around to get some goody out. The two pulls for tightening make it easy to snug up when done. It should become second nature eventually and I'm really liking the ease of access to stuff.

Another adjustment I made was to put a small pack on the top tube / steer tube area and it now contains a spare tube, levers, patch kit and I may put a folding tool set in there though it is getting crowded. This reduces the number of things I need to move back and forth from fanny pack to backpack, as well as takes some of the heavier things out of the fanny pack.

So far I'm pleased with the experiment and the more I ride with it the better I like it. I keep the Raptor handy for longer rides, and may need it more for Summer as the 1.5L in the Seral won't last long once the temps get up to broiling.

Also, I hung a carabiner on it that the handle of my Fiskar's 15" Loppers fits just about perfectly, but have yet to try this in the field.

• Like 1

I switched from a minimal backpack with 3L water and room for tools/tube to a minimal hip(ster) pack with room for tools and 1 water bottle. I purposely wanted a hip pack without a bladder. I figure if I am out and I need more than 3 water bottles (2 on bike and 1 on me) then I'll bring the backpack. For me it was a quick transition and I like it a lot. I could imagine if I weighed it down alot then I might agree with you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have the camelbak Palos and it definitely took some getting used to; however, I’ll never go back to a backpack unless absolutely necessary (rare for me). 

Loosening during rides was an issue for me in the beginning but then I bought the strap holder deals (sorry can’t remember name) and it stays nice and secure now. 

I carry 50oz water in bladder, pump, tube, patch kit, multitool, levers, and a snack. Sooo glad to get those damn straps off my shoulders and the pack off my back. Admittedly, I do have to adjust it slightly (just hiking up the position while riding) several times a ride but, for me, it has become second nature and the benefit outweighs any cons. 

Edited by Morealice
Your mom
  • Like 1